Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My garden did grow....sort of

My lack of discussing my garden must seem like it was an utter failure. I do have pictures but it's been a long time since I took them so I am not posting them. The garden was a partial success this year. The lettuce went nuts. We had so many delicious salads with bibb lettuce and a red leaf lettuce that I can't remember the name of. Right at the end of the lettuce cycle, I got pregnant. Then I was sick and didn't give two sh#@ts about the garden. Shem finished eating the lettuce and I sort of stopped taking care of things. The basil flourished and we ate that. The peppers were a total failure although the one pepper plant seems like it's trying to make a come back currently. There were two issues this summer. The first was that our summer was the coldest ever. We have had only 3 days over 90 degrees which is usually more like 30-40 days over 90. So the peppers failed. The kale grew really really nicely as did the beets but both were affected by pests. The beet greens eventually were so eaten up by pests that I pulled the beets earlier than I wanted but we still got a bunch of small ones that we ate. The kale slowly got eaten by pests so we didn't have any of that and I just pulled it. The green beans started off doing really well, and then again I think partially because of the weather, they didn't grow much. I have harvested a couple handfuls of them and fed them to Thomas. They are getting a second wind right now so we may get more. The tomatoes are also sort of sad because of the lack of sun and heat this summer. We have gotten some sweet 100's which have been really good and our beefsteak tomatoes are finally turning red right now due to a hot couple of days we are finally having. One problem is that we had a few ripen and I was about to pick them, but Oscar found them first and he eats them off of the vine. In fact, I am looking at him right now and his head is covered in the tell tale yellow that indicates he's been trying to get the tomatoes off the vine. I have learned a lot though about gardening from my season and had some success, definitely more than I thought I would. Oh, I forgot that I grew zucchini too and that was a piece of cake and we got a bunch of zucchini. Unfortunately things came in when I was hardly eating so I didn't enjoy a lot of the harvest this year but I enjoyed learning about what does well, what is easy to grow, and what is not so easy to grow. I am going to look into some fall crops next now that I am back into food!

No comments: